Mountains soaring high as if to kiss the sky and glistening while trapping the sun behind them; these sights are obvious ones to overwhelm any living soul. A country situated right at the foot of the Himalayas, Nepal offers a plethora of such scenes and options to trek to the Base Camps of some of the world's highest and most exciting peaks.
Base Camp Trek in Nepal
Table of Contents
Base Camps have been exciting destinations for intrepid travelers from all over the world. Usually, a Base Camp Trek does not require professional climbing experience and can be undertaken by anyone in good physical and mental shape. They can be of varying difficulties and provide unique opportunities to experience the local lifestyle of the specific regions. Some of the best options for base camp trekking in Nepal are as follows:
Everest Base Camp - Most Popular Base Camp Trek in Nepal
The Everest Base Camp Trek takes you to the Base of the highest peak in the world. It is one of Nepal's most famous and beautiful Base Camp Treks. This Trek allows you to trace some footsteps of Tenzing Norgay Sherpa and Sir Edmund Hillary when they first scaled Everest back in 1953. The base camp is at an incredible height of 5364 meters, and the trek takes around 16 days. The best time to go is between March and May or September and December. This Trek costs around US$1490.
Some Highlights of the Everest base camp trek
- A short flight to Lukla from Kathmandu, regarded by most as the most dangerous airport in the world,
- Visit Namche Bazaar, a central trade hub in the region,
- Majestic views of the Everest Peaks from Kalapatthar (5550m) and other vantage points,
- Option to visit the Khumbu Glaciers,
- Beautiful Sherpa Villages and Buddhist Monasteries, including Tengboche Monastery
Annapurna Base Camp - Easiest Base Camp Trek in Nepal
The Annapurna mountain range, named after the Hindu goddess of food and nourishment, is a famous destination for travelers. The Trek to Annapurna Base Camp (ABC) reveals majestic views of mountains in the range, which include Annapurna I (8091m), Annapurna II (7937m), Machhapuchhre (6997m), and others. This moderate-difficult trek takes around 15 days and can vary depending on the route chosen and takes one up to the height of 4130 meters above sea level. It costs around $960, and the price can vary depending on the group size and mode of accommodation chosen. The best time to travel is from February to Mid-June and from September to November.
Some Highlights of the Annapurna base camp trek
- Incredible views of the mountains in the Annapurna range,
- Sunrise view from Poonhill vantage point,
- A unique mix of Tibetan and Nepalese cultures,
- Himalayan Villages untouched by modern influences,
- Several natural hot springs for travelers to relax at (depending upon the route chosen),
- Staple desert of the region- Homemade apple pie
Manaslu Base Camp - Restricted Area Trek in Nepal
Mt. Manaslu (meaning the Spirit Mountain) is the eighth-highest mountain in the world, standing at 8163 meters above sea level. This Base Camp Trek is one of the newest Trekking destinations in Nepal. It provides incomparable views along with immense biodiversity and unique cultural heritage. This Base Camp is estimated to be situated at an altitude of around 4400 meters above sea level. A round trip can take up to 18 days; tea house lodging is the primary accommodation mode. This trip is best made in either March-May or Sept-November.
Some Highlights of the Manaslu Base Camp Trek
- Unexplored trails and small crowds
- Cross high altitude passes like Larke La pass (5160m)
- Visit famous old monasteries such as Sama Gompa
- Spectacular views of Himal Chuli (7853m), Ganesh Himal (7422m), Manaslu Himalayan Range, etc.
- Homestay experience with the locals
- Opportunities to view blooming Rhododendron flowers during the season
Kanchenjunga Base Camp - Less Crowded Base Camp Trek in Nepal
The Kanchenjunga Base Camp Trek is one of Nepal's more strenuous base camp Treks. This mountain lies in the easternmost part of Nepal and borders Sikkim in India. The mountain is the third-highest in the world and has two Base Camps where the scaling of the Kanchenjunga summit begins. The north Base Camp is at a staggering height of around 5143 meters above sea level, and the south base camp is at 4500 meters. The Trek to the north and south Base Camps can take up to 19 and 22 days to complete. The best time to go is between March-May and Sept-December.
Some Highlights of the Kanchenjunga Trek
- Unspoiled wilderness to be explored
- Option to visit the Pathibhara Temple- An important Hindu pilgrimage site
- Visit the Kanchenjunga Conservation area, home to thousands of unique flora and fauna
- Explore quaint local villages and their ancient culture on the way
Whether you are an experienced climber, a traveler, or a mountain enthusiast, Nepal offers you many options, and it is solely up to you to choose the Base Camp Trek that suits your preference. A trip to one of the mentioned Base Camps is bound to be a thrilling experience. Moreover, the pride and emotions upon achieving the feat of conquering a base camp are of such magnitude that the feeling will fill you with the zest for years to come. So, pick a base camp, pack your bags, and get ready to delve into the Himalayas in Nepal. Book now...