Trekking to the foot of the world’s tallest mountain is a dream adventure to many around the world. Especially in September, when the surrounding is the best it can get; Everest Base Camp trek is the ultimate travel experience. During September, with the end of monsoon, the skies clear up making the view of even the distant mountains crystal clear. The pleasant weather along with the dry trails provide an enhanced trekking experience making September the perfect time to do this trek.
Everest Base Camp Trek in September
Table of Contents
The Everest Base Camp Trek takes you to the heart of Khumbu at the Everest Base Camp. In September, the Everest Base Camp Trek is one of the most sought-out treks in Nepal. The trip starts with a scenic flight from Kathmandu to Lukla airport. From here, it leads on to Phakding, Namche Bazaar, Tengboche, Dingboche, and Lobuche all the way to the Everest Base Camp (5,364m). A hike to the Kalapatthar viewpoint (5,545m) culminates the EBC Trek.
Highlights of the Trek in September
The Everest Base Camp trek is one of the finest ways to explore the beauty of Nepal. As such, September brings out the best of this glorious adventure. Here are a few highlights of the Everest Base Camp Trek in September:
- Clear skies to relish the mesmerizing views of the mountains
- Walk along dry and pleasant trekking trails
- Experience the bio-diversity of the Sagarmatha National Park
- Reach the Everest Base Camp and Kalapatthar viewpoint
Everest Base Camp Weather in September
September signals the end of monsoon; as a result, the chances of rainfall is minimum. The weather is stable during this month and the skies are clear. There will be no clouds to obstruct your view of the Himalayas. Furthermore, the trekking trails will be dry and easier to walk on as well. With a pleasant atmosphere, there is no better time to go on this trek than September. Please go to our weather and temperature section for more detail.
Everest Base Camp Temperature in September
Temperature is also a major reason to opt for the Everest Base Camp Trek in September. In this month, the temperature is moderate. As you ascend to the higher altitude, the temperature gradually decreases. The average temperature during daytime is around 14 degrees Celsius and night time is around -6 degree Celsius. Keep in mind that you may experience cold mornings which can bring about a temperature drop to around -10 degree Celsius.
Accommodation and Food in September
During the trek, you will be stopping at various lodges and tea houses on your way. They provide dining, accommodation, and other services to the trekkers. It is important to note that since September is the main season for the trek, most of the teahouses and lodges may be fully booked. You may not find empty rooms during this season. In such cases, it is possible to share rooms with fellow travellers upon their agreement. So, you have been careful to pre-book or be ready to make necessary compromises as well.
Difficulties during Everest Base Camp Trek in September
Trekking in the Himalayas is definitely a challenging task and it is certain for one to encounter difficulties. Some major difficulties you may face are:
- Altitude Sickness and physical fitness: Most of the trekking trails on the Everest Base amp Trek lie above the 3000-meter altitude mark. As such, a trekker can easily be a victim of altitude sickness. So, you trekkers must maintain a steady pace and acclimatize in order to prevent from falling prey to altitude sickness.
- EBC trek is a long journey which requires an individual to be physically fit. So, it is best to develop a stamina 2-3 months before the trek. Cardiovascular and flexibility exercises are a way to begin your training routine.
- Difficulty in finding a room: Since September is the peak month for trekking, you may not find vacant rooms in the lodges. One way to tackle this is to get your rooms early. Another option is to share rooms with other travellers.
Packing list for Everest Base Camp Trek
Since September is not the coldest of times to do the trek, trekkers can limit the number of warm clothes. Here is a list of the essentials you have to pack for the EBC trek. Find detail about the Everest base camp trek gear list on our pack list section.
- Light Sleeping Bag
- Trekking boots (waterproof)
- Trekking shirts
- Trekking trousers
- Jackets (Down and fleece)
- Trekking Poles
- First aid medical kit
- Trek duffle bag
You can pack other items as per your preference.
Everest Base Camp Trek is an adventure that gives you chills through your body even with the thought of it. September brings in the best time to tackle the challenges and make your way to the Everest Base Camp. Undertake the Everest Base Camp Trek in September and witness the true beauty of the Everest Himalayas!